Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Oregon - Part 1

Thursday June 23 we woke again at 2:00 am, this time we didn't tell Roman where we were going the night before. He went right back to sleep in the car and slept until just before 7:00 am and we were already half way there. I was able to go to sleep for part of the drive and Spencer spent that time listening to his music.

The drive from California to Oregon was beautiful. We drove by Mt Shasta, through beautiful lush mountains. I have only been to Oregon once when I was 16 and Spencer had never been there before. We were loving all the green, lush, beautiful landscape (my allergies were not loving it so much). Spencer said over and over "I could live here. It's so beautiful."

About the time that Roman woke up Spencer's phone said that it had less then 15% of battery power left, which on his phone that pretty much means that it was dead so we got out the cord and plugged it in to the cigarette charger and nothing happened. So we tried a few other chargers and nothing, the cigarette outlet was not working. As I said, we have never driven in Oregon before and we didn't really know where we were going. We had planned to just use the navigation on Spencer's phone to get us there. I called my sister, Becky, and had her look up gas prices in different cities, directions to Katie's house, and a few other things so that if we didn't have his phone we could still get around and find the best gas prices. We decided to stop in Eugene, OR for gas. Just before Eugene we found a rest stop that we stopped at to go to the bathroom and Spencer looked around and found an outlet by the vending machines so he plugged his phone in (and hid it so that no one else would see it there charging) and we stayed there for about 20 minutes to let his phone charge and we were back on the road again with internet, navigation, and a charged phone (sadly the charged phone was the least important, we really just wanted the internet and navigation.)

We drove straight to Katie's (Aka "Mommy Katie") house and spent the afternoon visiting with her and meeting her baby Betsy. I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't even get my camera out that day. We had fun just visiting, we hadn't seen Katie since December and we hadn't met Betsy so there was lots of catch up time, and Roman of course wanted to tell her about everything. We spent time out on their back deck enjoying the nice weather (it was in the 70's which felt so nice after coming from 100 degree weather in California.)

We ran over to the hotel and checked in then went back to Katie's house to have dinner with them. Scott (Katie's husband) picked up dinner at San Diego Taco Co. I ordered nachos. They were SO GOOD! I kept saying "I'm so full, I have to stop eating." I ate every last chip and I was SO FULL. It was seriously delicious!

The next morning Katie and Betsy came over to the hotel to go swimming with us. Hudson usually takes an early morning nap. He had fun splashing in the pool at first, but he was tired and he laid his head down on my shoulder and fell asleep in the pool. So I went over to sit with my feet in the hot tub while he slept and Katie came to sit there and feed Betsy and she decided it was a good time to take a little nap too.




After getting cleaned up from the pool we met Katie, Betsy and her sister Carol and her boys at the zoo. Roman needed a nap and was having a bit of a meltdown, so I asked Carol if she would hold Hudson for a minute so I could talk to Roman and have him go to the bathroom. Roman was just having a rough afternoon. I came back from the bathroom and Carol had Hudson and Zachary (her baby) and they were both crying. Carol was so awesome about it, she just laughed it off and was great with 2 crying babies. Her boys were all so well behaved. They all took care of each other and were so cute. They tried to help with Roman too and he wanted none of it.


The last thing that we did at the zoo was take a train ride. The train ride at the Portland Zoo is REALLY COOL. It's not a 2 minute ride around the zoo like Hogle Zoo. It was a 35 minute ride through a lush tree lined park. We got quite the view of a couple on the grass obviously unaware that they were being watched by everyone on the zoo train. Hudson took a nice nap on the ride. He woke up right as the train pulled back into the station.




That night we went to a BBQ place for dinner with Katie and Scott and Scott's brother and sister. Again, so yummy. We ate lots of good food in Portland. Hudson sat next to Betsy at dinner and he was checking her our. Spencer was joking that it would be funny if Hudson and Betsy got married. How would Roman ever explain that?

No comments: